background

Katlynn~ March 5, 2011

Katlynn~ March 5, 2011
I might be bias... but she is beautiful!!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

IEP was a BUST... :-(

Well we had Katlynn’s IEP for preschool on Tues. It was very emotional for me and ,in all honesty, it was a very sucky meeting. I think due to the fact I heard what I really didn’t want to hear. The team recommended a more intensive program for Katlynn other than the one I had been counting on for the past 5 months. The same school I was hoping she and Audrie would attend together that takes some mild/moderate special needs kids. Turns out they do not think she will adapt to it just yet and in time she will probably be able to transition to the same school, but for her now is going to have to go to a different one. I thought about fighting it… I still think about fighting it, but I know it is only temporary and I am not trying to cure Katlynn or force her into a setting she is not ready for. After reviewing all the reports I do agree she might not be ready for the inclusion school just yet. I am going to stay on top of the school and follow all her benchmarks and goals and as soon as she has met 85% of them, I am going to call another IEP and request she be given a chance at Clouds (the inclusion school Audrie is going to attend). In the end, my goal is to have her in regular Kindergarten if that is possible.


It is all so overwhelming dealing with IEP’s and special needs kids and I sometimes feel very few of my close friends and family can really relate. With this said, it could be a lot worse. I am thankful I have a loving, bright and affectionate daughter whom I have no doubt has a good bright future ahead of her. It will take a lot of work and encouragement, as well and a lot of intensive therapy, but I truly believe she will get there.

I want to thank everyone who attended the IEP in support of Katlynn and I appreciate everything you have done to help her.

1 comment:

  1. I just want you to know that I admire you for everything that you are doing to keep on top of this. I know from an educators standpoint how time consuming and frustrating IEPs can be, so I can't imagine all that you are going through. You are doing a wonderful job, and Katlynn is gonna be very successful thanks to your efforts. Love you girlie!

    ReplyDelete