background

Katlynn~ March 5, 2011

Katlynn~ March 5, 2011
I might be bias... but she is beautiful!!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Advocating


Is....

A job a parent with a special needs child will do pretty much forever.  Might as well get good at it right?  Well, I think I am slowly but surely learning how to do this and do it right.  Learning what is right and wrong, all about placements and special education law.  In fact, by learning what I have with Katlynn has helped me catch a HUGE mess up on the school districts part for Halle's IEP.  .  However,  I am not out to be nasty, I am just advocating for my daughters rights.  For her future.  What a lot of these IEP teams don't get,  is "we" (the parents) are part of the team.  I have gotten countless apologies and them admitting to screwing up.  But does this make it okay?  Do they think I should just blow it off?  Well, I am sure they don't and they're right.  They will be walking on eggshells with me for the next few years.  I say that with a smile.  I guess they forgot it is a team effort and I am part of the team. While I don't want to ruin my relationship with the school staff, I want to make sure they are aware I am an actively involved parent.  I have heard from them time and time again how very few parents are.  That makes me sad to hear.  Is is really true that parents would not fight and advocate for your child's rights?  To know what is being taught to your child and how they are doing in the school setting or placement?  I just can't imagine it.  I can't but I know it is true and happens quite often.

Maybe that's why they thought they would get off easily with Halle.  They assumed I was one of those parents who just expected the school to teach my child and that's it.  They assumed, I didn't give a damn.  Ha... boy we're they wrong.  As I have said before,  I am nice until you mess with my kids and then I get ugly.

Communication is key.

I know I kind of went off topic since this is Katlynn's blog, but I figure a majority of the readers have children on IEP's.

3 comments:

  1. I just started reading your blog and it is scary how much my wife and I mirror your thoughts and problems. We have beautiful 5 yr old girl with autism. We often wonder how our life would be different and many times are jealous of our friends who have typical kids. However, we have something they don't. They don't get the unbelievable feeling of pride when a new skill is learned after weeks or months of work. Parents of autistic children savor everything from finally going potty in the toilet to something as minute as pointing to the correct picture. As far as IEP's go, my wife likened them to meeting with an insurance agent (hope you or your husband don't sell insurance). You always feel like they are trying to slip something past you. Just remember that no one knows your child better than you. Keep fighting for what YOU think best for her. Looking forward reading more.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Todd.... Please keep reading and pass the bog onto friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am new on here and saw your blog on Carly's FB page. Wow! I am glad to know that somebody else out there is fighting for their child's rights. I am so able to relate with what you wrote above. The school system has sadly indeed forgotten that we are a part of the "TEAM" but they don't spell it like we do, theirs is spelled with an "I" because they try to in a sense kinda exclude us like we don't know what works for our child.
    I am finding that many parents do just accept the flow of things and don't really know how things are going for their child as long as they come home happy every single day. I was one of those for a very short little bit.
    Awesome blog! I have created a site for my son but will have to create a blog because I took the wrong route.
    Keep doing what you do for your baby girl! She is blessed to have you advocating for her...her future will be positive due to you doing so. NEVER GIVE UP!!!
    email me anytime at 3littleblessingsinhelena@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete